Friday, August 17, 2007





COMING to AMERICA?




So here's the word; Have you ever wondered how people from other countries operate in a nation without speaking the language. I know that there are certain sectors and reigons in the country which they speak other languages. Subcultures do exist, ok got it! However, I live in Michigan and trust me the only language they speak here is english and maybe general motors.




There is a company that handles the cleaning duties at my workplace but they do not speak english. Recently one of the ladies tried to buy a dvd player. This is where it gets interesting. Her debit card from her bank had just expired and they issued her a new one. She hands over the old debit card but of course, it would not go through. So I tried to tell her the card does not work. Have you ever found yourself speaking slower to someone that didn't understand you, thats what i did but i realized it doesnt matter how fast or slow i speak they don't know the words period. Whether i sound them out or spit them out like an auctioneer, THEY DON'T KNOW THE WORDS! It gets worse, they have been in Michigan for at least 5 Years and don't know a lick of English. Look im only going to help you if you meet me halfway. I will say this though, the gentleman who runs the operation can speak a little bit of english or just enough to say "I'll work". Can you imagine going to Bangledesh and trying to get by without speaking the lingo, forget about it! By the way why doesn't America have an official language? Im sorry they need to stop trying to accommodate everyone. I love spanish, it sounds beautiful but that's not the language over here. And if you come here don't expect me to speak dutch or portuguese. Its a beautiful thing to speak multiple languages and i want to do it myself. But if you're not making an honest effort to communicate with me, then you on your own, GOOD LUCK! I just find it fascinating, how do you tell them what show you want to see at the movies, heck you can't even answer paper or plastic at the grocery store. The worse part about this story is that i can't even say this to the people that need to hear it because they don't speak my language!

1 comment:

Love Publicity said...

This was really bothering you wasn't it!?