Monday, January 12, 2009

The Art of Giving


One of my most gracious gifts is the ability to empathize with others, looking at things from their vantage point. I have found that this has helped me extensively throughout my living, from problem solving to lending a hand. Recently I have ran into quite a few situations where strangers have asked me for things (usually money or food) and it made me think, what is it like to be in that quagmire? Although i do not know the answer i have found that giving can be most rewarding.

There were two consecutive instances where i went to a gas station and someone asked me for money or food. Each time i lent an ear and also spared some money for them. Now first i must say it is not my job to determine whether they are lying or not, because it is rhetorical, i have no way of knowing unless it is painfully obvious. I found it rather peculiar that each time i showed up someone approached me, however i try to be as pragmatic as possible so i thought no further. So as the symmetry of life slowly reveals itself, i found the very next two times i went to get gas two different individuals filled up MY tank. They are people i know so they aren't strangers but God saw fit to bestow gas upon me when i didn't even know it was coming. I should inform you that this is when gas was $3+ for a gallon maybe even $4. All i gave to those that asked me is a mere 2 or 3 dollars each time, that's pretty much all that was in my pocket. God didn't have to give me retribution or any of the like and that's not what i was looking for, I did it because i felt that it was my job to help others where i could. This is a rather special case so don't expect to get gas cause Wallo got gas.

Now i go to CVS by my house and it seems like there is ALWAYS someone asking for something, i now think to myself "this is getting to be out of control" (im just joking). But it made me think of Matthew chapter 25 where the Jesus talks about judging nations on how they treated those in need, clothing, shelter, and food. I understand that there were parables in that chapter but the same principle applies. I resolve that we should all take the time out to help somebody, and frankly the next time someone ask you for a buck to get some food if you are skeptical you can buy the food yourself. Like my man Mike Jackson said on his Dangerous album we have to "Heal the World".

That picture is complex and multi-dimensional, i am not going to burden your brain too much though. Just know that the picture is called "The Giving Tree".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

do u believe in "karma"? laws of reciprocity?

Anonymous said...

that was from me, Dree!!

Wallo said...

Well, anonymous... I believe God takes cares of those who take care of others.