Sunday, May 3, 2009

The $540 dollar Debate

Recently everyone's favorite homegirl M.O. (thats what I call her) stepped out in a pair of sneakers by French designer Lanvin. There is a part of me that solely wanted to post this because it was about sneakers, lucky for me it has relevance beyond that (plus its my blog anyway). She and Jilly were at a D.C. Food bank for a Feeding America event. The detail that has left some folks with a bitter feeling is the fact they run about $540.

The dominant sentiment was ''They're in poor taste. That's way too much to spend on a sneaker, especially in a recession.'' This is according to a poll embedded within the webpage of the Daily News article, if I recall the percentage was 59% against and 41% for. I wasn't bothered the least bit by it, as I operate off the assumption that some of her pumps cost thousands of dollars. Also I don't know how she obtained them, perhaps she didn't even have to pay for them. Maybe she did but they reimburse her. The media builds hype over hype about her outfit selections and appearance, therefore it is obviously important to THEM. Since they consistently insinuate that her appearance is so noteworthy perhaps she does need to put on some of the best, or at least perceived that way, sneakers around. Another key point that I learned after some reading is that this isn't the first time she has donned some Lanvins, so it appears that this is a sneaker she feels comfortable with...I say let her be
comfortable.

Let me find out M.O. is a sneaker head! In my quest to eradicate the world of corny sneakers I have attained a new level of hope. Us 1, Them 0. Now who's got a problem with me and M.O.!?

3 comments:

QAE said...

If homegirl M.O. is a sneaker that would be kewl and hilarious, I never would have guessed it. LOL Anyway, I highly doubt if she is purchasing $500 dollar sneakers or cashing out thousands on heels. I read the interview in Oprah's "O" magazine that she and Barack are "cheap"....and many times before he became president he would say that he owned only four suits. However, they are like royality now...hmph... but I think that designers send her items like they do for other celebrities so why not the first lady of America....

Wallo said...

Exactly, people always jump overboard with this stuff. I don't believe she bought them either and even if in fact she did still doesn't bother me

AutumnJones said...

I honestly dont think its a big deal!