Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gang Starr - Mass Appeal



When this song hit the circuit i was only a tyke, the year was 1994 and i was a spry 10 years old. I remember perching myself right at the tip of the couch so that i could firmly plant both my feet on the floor and lean as close as i could towards the television that really wasn't that far away. The volume was up just enough so that i could catch every syllable of Guru's rhymes but not too loud so that the sound escaped the den (but those drums give it away every time). In 1994 my parents weren't too fond of hip-hop let alone the notion of their 10 year-old son plunging himself in the music so carelessly. The point is, I used to kick back with The Box and get into my zone when this song came on. I would later own Full Clip: A decade of Gang Starr and pump it through my headphones in my reclining posture, still spry, but now a more cultured hip-hop high-schooler. So as Guru passes away i just wanted to reflect a little bit and think about some of the good times i had. Here's the actual video (I couldn't embed)

"And for my peeps I truly care/ Cause without some of them I wouldn't be here, And they all know how I feel Cause suckers be like playin themselves to have mass appeal"

No comments: