Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Weave Retreat


Alright readership, i apologize, I was supposed to do this video a couple of weeks ago but life impedes and progress recedes. This is a store i was led to, not for my own exploits of course, i was merely a submissive passenger. What i found was astonishing (or at least to me it was) so i made a video. I've entitled this, The Weave Retreat.

As you examine the video of course you can see the wigs on the molded heads, also along the ENTIRE wall was weave packets. The variety was stifling. Its funny because the building's exterior does not prepare you for the interior, you think it might be some weave in there but nothing like this. This is like the secret headquarters, one of my friends told me the weave industry is a lot like the drug industry (that's a different post though). The synthetic hair industry apparently rakes in quite the dollars, additionally most of that hair cost a lot more than a person with my logic would pay.

Perhaps i am old-fashioned and i will also preface by saying i have never been a woman, but if you just take care of what you have won't you be alright? Ladies I'm going to need you to chime in on this one. To my understanding there are so many ways that women damage their hair with heat, color/ph balance (my twin taught me that, don't judge me), and general lack of maintenance; maybe there should be classes on hair care. I understand that some people have thin hair, some full, some long, and some short but i reiterate isn't it all about taking care of what you do have. Along with that i was just discussing with a friend the other day how women generally place an inordinate amount of their value on their looks/appearance. Important yes, but there is no moderation in that thought process. When does a women cross over into the valuable category because of something else like abilities or their wisdom, almost like a grandmother (maybe that's the threshold). Excuse my pensive moment. Please don't contort the point, i think weave is cool in some instances but there is no reason they should be selling this much hair, at some point it becomes excessive, right?

I'm going to close this with a line from one of my favorite emcees, Common; "In a area where it's more weaves and less dreds, kinda scary amongst theives and bass heads".

1 comment:

AutumnJones said...

lmao!! all i can do is laugh.. Women if they are like me hate looking the same. So many women will not cute thier hair off so weaves are an option. However i can not do weave that is unless i have braids. But it is really getting out of control. It may get even more out of control since ole girl's weave saved her life.