Friday, April 24, 2009

Jumping the Gun


A young basketball player, Jeremy Tyler out of San Diego, CA has decided to forgo his senior year in high school and take his 6'11 frame to play basketball overseas with the expectation of returning in two years and entering the NBA Draft.

I don't know how I categorize this yet, either it is smart or it is irresponsible on the parents behalf. Different families have different needs and I do not know his family situation but I do know that he had orally committed to the University of Louisville with future Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino. The morally responsible portion of me wants to antagonize this decision as he is afforded a privileged opportunity and there is a tremendous amount that can be gained from that experience. I also do not know how bright of an individual he is, but i do know that i learned a large heap of knowledge from senior year in high school and through college. However perhaps real world experience may do him more justice. I wish him well as he will be the first young man to jump this gun. The U.S. will learn a lot from him and this endeavor, also they will probably quantify future decisions by youngsters off the success or failure of this decision. Let the game begin.

No comments: