Thursday, March 27, 2008

Here we Go Again, Lebron edition


Im going to take a moment and get into this Lebron Gisele Vogue cover. Initially i saw it on ESPN's First Take and thought nothing of it. About a week or so later i still think nothing of it.

People have been taking the position that it looks like King Kong holding the white actress (i don't know her name and don't care what it is). After hearing this, i was able to look at the cover and say, ok, i can see where they get that from. There are rumblings that black athletes are always portrayed in an aggressive manner on magazine covers and other photo ops, but to be honest I have never payed attention to that. I know the philosopher will say that it is in my subconscious, but to be honest i think that most athletes are portrayed in an aggressive manner. Some people look at Tom Brady in GQ and say, "well he isn't viewed in an aggressive manner, he looks like the model next door". Ok I dig that, but i have had GQ magazines where they have done spreads and young black football athletes were in the spread in the latest fashions and in subtle poses and positions. I think this boils down to one of those, why are there so many jeeps on the road after you just got a jeep issue. Its because now that is what you are looking for.

Sometimes i think black folk are looking for something to get revved up over. If Lebron saw the pics and said, "yeah that's me" or " i think thats accurate", then why should I have a problem with it. He is not complaining and saying that he feels improperly depicted or misrepresented. Maybe Lebron says to himself, i am a big aggressive guy and that's how i play.

I think that maybe black people need to take some pride in who they are, and no i am not saying that Lebron should take pride in himself because he looks like king kong. However i am saying that if he is an aggressive person then maybe he should embrace that and the same goes for any other person. Don't let people tell you who you should be or who you are. Honestly, some black folk are aggressive and that's just the way they are, its not right and its not wrong. Perhaps he wanted to represent his basketball side anyway, since that is all most of us know anyway. I am saying this because i do not think that all the black athletes are depicted this way, so therefore its ok for him to look like Lebron on the cover.

Also black folks always talk about how strong they have to be or are, or how much they have endured, and i agree they have. I could not imagine going through most of things that some of the generations before me battled. But get this, when we are viewed as strong or aggressive we want to change it up and say, no im passive and mild mannered. Or do we just want a different approach for the athletes, because i can remember quite a few other black people on magazine covers and they looked extremely civil and peaceful. Look at Pharrell on the cover of Esquire and actually look at Rip Hamilton on the cover of GQ (just remembered that one). My man Kanye has been on the cover of GQ.

I say that to say this ( i love that line), I think we should chill on this one. No harm, no foul. Lebron did the shoot and said, hey this is the me im cool with and don't have a problem portraying.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

JUST THIS ONE TIME…I will have to DISAGREE with you. It may SEEM like its blown out of proportion but it pissed me off the first time I saw the cover as well and I saw the cover before all the controversy.

The Reason to My Madness:

Slavery in the U.S. ended 1863 – less then 200 years

Jim Crow Laws (Racial Segregation) ended 1965 - less then 50 years ago

Birth of a Nation, a movie made less the 100 years ago depicted a very racist image of black men as beasts/animals that lusted after pure and innocent white women.

I was PISSED when I saw that cover because rather we’re using a King Kong example or not a picture says a thousand words and that’s exactly what was being portrayed in that photograph.

Lebron James to me is probably ignorant to the fact that he looks like a modern day “Buck” or “Coon.”

I feel like ½ of the black population is upset because they still realize that the our parents were growing up threw the Jim Crow era (LESS THEN 50 YEARS AGO), while the other ½ think we’re free now, nobody think that way anymore, and people need to get over it but those same people have slave minds and free feet.. Remember U of M had an affirmative action issue n 2003 less then 10 years ago! So I feel like the ½ that is pissed about the magazine have every right to be… History said so!

As far as other athletes not being portrayed like that…GOOD FOR THEM.. that’s why we’re not talking about their cover.

By the way…. Will I have felt the same way if they had used Beyonce, Tyra or Naomi instead of Giselle…ABSOLUTELY NOT! Because they are not that pure and innocent white woman ALL BLACK MEN LUST AFTER!

Anonymous said...

P.S.

You conveyed your viewpoint very well..YOU HAVE SKILLS!

Anonymous said...

I agree son, I didn't think to much of it until the press told me I should be offended by it. Even it is a play on the King Kong theme, it is classic movie made in the 1930's originally and you know I'm all about that. That's my boy,(oh I mean man) You know who

AutumnJones said...

Well I also agree with you.. I dont understand People Esp. Black people always feel the need to bring everything back to slavery, and what we dont realize is we continue to keep ourselves in slavery because we make big deal out of bull like this photo. Whne there are people dying in Chicago, This picture is nothing worth sitting around and making a big deal about. Be happy that he had an accomplishemnt.This picture is not "Coonary" or anything to that line. Everything aint deep, what is coonary is that if THE MEDIA would have never said anything everyone would have been happy, THATS SLAVERY!!!.. thats what's so funny to me this is another case GET A LIFE People...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

autumnjones said: "This picture is not "Coonary" or anything to that line."

QUICK DEFINITION:

Coon = Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person

Buck = used to describe a black man (usually muscular or tall) who defies white will and is largely destructive to American society. He is usually hot-tempered, excessively violent, unintelligent, and eager to sexually assault young women, especially white virgins.

Coon = Buck = the way Lebron James look in this pic...which means this picture is...COONERY!

~THE END~