Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A House is not a Home...if nobody buys it


Florida's housing market is diving aimlessly and who knows where it will end. This is information via Forbes.com writer, Matt Woolsey (I just like that name so I had to chivy it in here). I am not in writing this to keep everyone in the mental doldrums but i have people in FL and I thought this was interesting and you will see why later. Housing prices in Miami dropped by 20%, Tampa 18%, and Orlando 17% in the past year according the National Association of Realtors.

I am aware of the housing conundrum across the nation and I chose Florida for a reason, aside from the truth that I found this article. I am not casting that off (trust me i live in Michigan), but approximately a year and a half ago I remember my dad enlightening me on how frivolously they were building homes in Florida, and that is not the case in states like MI or OH. At the time there was an excess of houses compared to the people buying. He talked about how a lot of construction companies were slowing production if not ceasing plans in multiple areas. This article reminds me that nothing happens in a vacuum and this is something that has certainly been on the way for a while, especially when you couple that with the dire economic straits. But how much expansion or growth did these companies in Florida prognosticate? I percieve that some of this could have been alleviated by the braintrust of construction companies and housing agencies. Too often we wait until a problem arises before we decide to fix it. Not to mention that we have to hold these decision makers accountable for the decisions that they make. I do not know what is taking place at the top of the aforementioned organizations but I hope that whomever the operating officer may be, they are being held accountable. On the other hand i don't like to dwell on the past, once it happens, its done. Now there needs to be an effort to make progress, and hopefully we can learn from our mistakes and not make the same one next time.

I am no economic or housing savant, but I do operate the Sofa which is poised to take over sooner before later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Too often we wait until a problem arises before we decide to fix it." Kudos. You are so profound.

AutumnJones said...

Yea i agree with Teia.