Thursday, October 23, 2008

My Long & Strange Trip


I should not even be in the position to write this post but I am, therefore i will impart my experience upon the 'Sofa. I had to go to the courthouse today, for some aggravating traffic stuff. Pay attention as I detail the experience.

First, I get downtown at 8:20 a.m. or so and of course the parking is extremely sketchy and spotty, lot attendants looked like they just emerged from underneath a downtown awning and left their shopping cart to collect dollars from hurried and pre-occupied drivers. I did not park in any of the lots, for one because i did not have any legitimate amount of cash on me, and if i did I was going to at least attempt to fabricate a parking spot before i gave them any currency. So I found a meter and my mood was quickly reversed (I always have plenty of change, especially quarters). Although the meter actually took Visa, I happily fed my quarters into the machine until it flashed there is a one hour maximum. I was then dismayed, because I didn't realize that, perhaps in my blissful state i did not read thoroughly. I chalked it up and sauntered to the courthouse, when i got to the door and peeked in I reaffirmed to myself, "I knew it"-- the joint was packed! One of my first observations was that the people looked visually dilapidated minus a few here and there. I had on a suit and most people looked they were trying NOT to wear a suit. I saw everything from Jordan's to tattered and old Converse's that i haven't seen in YEARS... and trust me i know shoes. People wore dickie outfits, largely printed name brand items, and old dresses that look like they USED to be for the club. Its a good thing it wasn't hot outside because im sure someone would have tried to clandestinely shuffle in there with a beater on. This is wrong on my behalf but I looked at these people and thought, "I just can't see these folks voting".

But one of the funniest things is that everyone had to remove their belt to go through the metal detectors, hence everyone is walking around the courthouse in scattered pockets looking as if they are just getting dressed or leaving the bathroom, I thought that was hilarious! If you kinda squint your eyes at the payment counters you would swear that you were at some indoor festival, and the payment counters were concession counters. I felt so distant and excluded, i certainly did not need to be in there and i will put the stamp on that sentiment later.

So i eventually discovered after about 5 minutes and questioning what counter to approach to get my destination. I head upstairs to my courtroom and then i realize that i left something in the car, the bailiff or whatever they are said sure you can leave. I hustle back through the maze exactly how i remembered it back to my car, then i had an audacious revelation, "I can put more money in my meter". This was a blessing in disguise! So I do just that then i groundhog day-it back through the courthouse. Somebody took my seat but other than that i felt good. By now its about 9:00 and they are clearly not ready to start (why did they tell me to get there at 8:30?). I was perturbed all over again because although i extended my time they are clearly intent on whisking my precious minutes away, my rationale told me of course they are going to address my ticket last because that's the way the world works, right? Certainly as i thought up my self-fulfilling prophecy it happened that way. I sat through a bevy of stories but only one of them stood out. There was a gentlemen whose case was dismissed because the officer did not show up, he was trying to argue his ticket!? Then his daughter who was about 30 years old herself interjected from the benches and tried to co-sign her father, but they clearly are disengaged from the rest of world because everyone is telling them to be quiet and GO, Get OUT, you're free!

So i finally get my chance to speak my peace, not the result i was looking for but whatever... I already hate the police so nothing happened to sway me the other way. I pay my "court fees" and such and proceed out the door. As im walking past one of the security guards by the door a woman stops and inquires to that security guard, "who do i speak to if i want to press assault charges against someone". This affirmed the notion that i do not need to be here. Yeah, about that.... don't you go to a police station to do that?

So this journeys comes to a close as i reach my car and of course............. i have the inevitable parking ticket.

5 comments:

AutumnJones said...

that sounds like when i was in court for fighting. It was me and my friend and the chick we fought. In the room with murders. I was a little nervous. Lol Love the story.

Anonymous said...

I have experienced the same issues at the courthouse. I no longer attempt to show up @ 8:30, because the judges don't usually arrive until after 9am. I also wore a suit the last time I had a court appearance, and was asked by a few passers-by if I was an attorney.

Anonymous said...

Sounds quite like my experience and yes Uncle J suited up, but i got my ticket dismissed and i paid the corner bum to watch my car. Just remember this simple phrase and you'll be fine 'the day gets shorter as you get smarter'. Now that's one to grow on....

Wallo said...

Yeah, I wish you guys could have been there! It's was all a learning experience

Anonymous said...

Now that was funny.....When I had to visit the courthouse I thought I was over dressed and yes they do wear "beater". However I noticed signs clearly stating the attire you should adorn when taking care of business in the courthouse.